At Best Energy our mission is to forge an environment that is more energy-efficient, more sustainable and more pleasing to work and live in. We do this by harnessing the power of our own class-leading energy metering and IoT devices, a cloud platform and data analysis.
Our growing R&D and product development teams include cloud and web engineers, embedded software engineers, electronics engineers, and product designers. Together we deliver technology to our internal operations team and to our partners who install them across the globe.
At Best you will have the opportunity to contribute to the most effective form of sustainability transformation: saving energy before it’s even used.
The Embedded Software Engineer will join our team of engineers as they continue to develop innovative hardware and software products for the commercial energy monitoring and IoT markets. They will contribute to technical developments, ensuring the design and code meet requirements and are delivered on time.
The role will include the opportunity to guide our choice of technologies and shape how they are used over the coming years. As part of a growth industry there will be plenty of opportunities to innovate in both design and execution. We have our own cloud platform with which our devices must integrate tightly. Working within the co-development process will be a key part of this role.
The successful candidate will take a hands-on approach to software system design, development, and integrations with our customer embedded microelectronics. Their previous experience will enable them to work across all areas, avoid pitfalls and help the team to more great successes.
- Work with our team of excellent engineers as they continue to develop our innovative products, ensuring the software running on our systems performs excellently.
- Apply a solid technical understanding to development problems in a team context.
- Help set realistic and achievable timescales for technical development work.
- Ensure that our solutions are technically fit for purpose.
- Contribute to our software and hardware design and implementation.
- A positive attitude and enthusiasm for delivering results.
- Organised and proactive in spotting and averting problems before they arise.
- Excellent professional communication skills.
- Ability to work well with our other technical capabilities: cloud engineering, electronic design, support and service delivery.
- An ownership attitude to work with an eye on continual improvement.
Experience and qualifications
- Experience working in a team of engineers in an agile environment.
- An in-depth knowledge of developing and deploying software on Linux systems coupled with knowledge of Linux in an embedded environment will be required.
- A good understanding of internet security is essential.
- Strong commercial experience developing in higher level languages such as Python and/or C/C++.
- Knowledge of embedded MCU-based systems, ideally IoT.
- Experience with long-range RF communications, ideally LoRa or related systems.
- As a bonus, understanding of commercial electrical systems including three-phase power supply and measurement.